1st Midsomer Norton Scout Group

Whilst the minutes record the facts of the next ten years the stories of the decade are far too numerous to re-tell in detail, but to help colour the picture it has been possible to include just a few.
Nov. 1946 1st Midsomer Norton Scout Group re-registered. Mr. Stan Bruce appointed Scout Master. Standard Check Book Co. requested that Scouts no longer use Hut opposite their works as a headquarters.

Sept. 1947    Mr. Raymond Box prepared to assist Scouts. Voted to pay 10 to local association in trust for any future Paulton Troop.

Oct. 1947 Two Nissen Huts and two stoves purchased for £63 as new Headquarters.

Dec. 1947   Agreed to sign lease of ground from National Coal Board in field next to recreation field in Rackvernal Road for siting Nissen Huts. Mr. Gay to be asked to act as Assistant Scout Master.

Aug 1948 The Nissen Huts were erected on the new site in Rackvernal Road at a total cost of £260-14s-5d

The Troop's activities were recorded faithfully in the Somerset Guardian Scout Notes column prepared regularly by 'Skipper', alias Stan Bruce, and true to character, although Stan was the 1st Midsomer Norton Scout Master his column reported the scouting scene for the whole area from Chew Magna, Stratton-on-the-Fosse, Chilcompton, Peasedown to Radstock and others.

From these columns interesting stories emerged:.

September 1948 there was a "Big Do", a Sale of Work and Fete which raised £100 and ended with a highly successful camp fire.

Easter 1948 - Operation Jam Jar got underway in response to an appeal by the Ministry of Food. Collecting empty jam jars raised money for the Troop.

Stan tells of weekend camps at Cricket St. Thomas (near Chard),and  at Greyfield, High Littleton.

A two-weekend Leader Training Course held at Norton Hill School run by Gilwell Park Assistant Camp Chief, Ken Stevens, to the great amusement of the scouts who watched adult leaders struggling with fire-lighting, cooking and general camping techniques which the boys took for granted.

One story tells of a couple of Scouts at Stratton-on-the-Fosse who had an ingenious idea of creosoting a hut with a war-time stirrup pump which resulted in the Troop having a couple of “Friesian” scouts for a couple of weeks.

The first real honour came to the Group when Troop Leader, John Church was selected as a member of the Somerset Patrol to attend the 1947 World Jamboree at Moisson in France. In order to qualify John had to obtain his 1st Class Badge (another first for the Group). Training camps were held at Bath and the whole course of events was reported at length in Stan's newspaper column. It was certainly a proud moment for the Troop.